Cloud Monitor is a real-time, push API service that delivers critical transaction data from Akamai to your big data, analytics, or monitoring environments. Akamai has partnered with Sumo Logic to analyze and display metrics and reports from Akamai’s traffic.
Setup and configuration between Sumo Logic and Cloud Monitor is usually done by Professional Services, but as I'm about to show you, it's relatively easy to do yourself. When you’re done, you'll have a working integration between Cloud Monitor and Sumo Logic, and you can manage the information in Sumo Logic like any other data set.
This tutorial assumes you already have Cloud Monitor set up on your Akamai account. If you don't have it, contact your account manager.
Set Up A Sumo Logic Free Trial Account
Follow the instructions below to set up a free trial account of SumoLogic.
- Starting at the Sumo Logic home page, select the “Free Trial” button from the upper right hand corner.
- Fill in the form, agree to the Service License Agreement, and Submit.
- Check your email for an email asking you to Activate your Account and click the button.
Configure Sumo Logic to Accept Cloud Monitor Data
Once you have a Sumo Logic account, you can configure an HTTP collector to collect the data POSTed to Sumo Logic by Cloud Monitor.
- When you return to the site you will be placed on a page with the setup wizard. Select Setup Streaming Data > All Other Sources > HTTP Source.
- You'll be assigned a special URL for cloud monitor to POST to. Make sure to copy the whole URL, including server and path.
- Store this information somewhere safe while you set the system up. Don’t move beyond this step on the Sumo Logic side or you'll need to set up the collection from scratch later. Do the next step fairly quickly as this may time out.
Set Up Your Main Property
To get this working, you'll need to set your main property to log data to another Akamai property, which will hand off the log data to Sumo Logic. I'll assume that you're calling that intermediate property “cloudmonitor”. In the following example, I’ll use my own domain, princesspolymath.com.
- Open up the Luna Control center and navigate to the property you want to work with.
- Create a new version for the property and select it.
- Scroll down to the Property Manager configuration section.
- Click Add Rule and select the Cloud Management section, adding the Cloud Monitor Instrumentation. Note: Put only the “path” part of the URL here, not the server name. This is a very important distinction!
Finish Sumo Logic Setup
If you haven’t yet finished the Setup steps for Sumo Logic (if you paused as suggested), you can finish that piece now. You should be redirected to a page with information about your collectors. If you already went through the finishing steps, you can go through again by going to Configure > Setup Wizard.
- From the collector page, click Library > Apps > Akamai Cloud Monitor.
- Click Install.
- On the setup page, set your sourceCategory values to akamaicloud_monitor as we did during setup.
If all has gone well, you will have a setup like the following:
As data begins to collect in Sumo Logic, the Manage… Dashboards… Status page will start to have results from the posts.
Many customers have created integrations for Cloud Monitor. If you're interested in this kind of integration with similar technologies, please post your ideas to the community so we can provide help getting it set up. We're excited to share different integrations so you can use the Cloud Monitor product in a way that works in your environment.